Sunday, October 2, 2011

Crossed a Goal off My List

Hello I hope everyone is doing well, I know I have been gone for an unforgivable amount of time and any article that I have read on proper blogging etiquette says that I should be punctual on my blog posts and not start out every post with and apology and excuse as to why I have been absent.  I honestly can say I am not sorry for being absent because for the last several months I have not had anything to say, I in fact have had the worst case of creative block that when I did open my blogger page this is what came out, lkadjfkuaiofjkladjflkj.  I wanted to spare everyone from the gibberish that often spills out when I start back to work and I promise that there has been nothing huge missed in the last month and a half while I was on this unannounced hiatus. But lets get back into the swing with something great.

I crossed a Goal off My List!


For the past year or so I have been flirting with the idea of becoming a runner and would have good days and bad days attempting this.  During the last month, I have been talking more and more with my runner friends and really deciding that I wanted to run some races.  So I found some 5k's near my home and decided it was time to try.  I didn't do any Couch to 5k Programs and probably ran a total of 15 miles in perpetration for the 5k I participated in yesterday. That's right I went against every piece of advice that I had searched online and ran a race with pretty much no training.

One of my friends was able to join me on this run and we had agreed to meet at 5:45 and ride together to the Tennis Garden where the event was being held.  True to Penny form I woke up at 5:45 and had to text and say I was running late, but on my way. I didn't get to drink the coconut water I had planned and that frozen waffle and Peanut butter remained in the freezer untoasted and calling my name. We made it to the Tennis Garden just after 6am (this event was just a few minutes from home) and register and then had the 1hr wait until the start. During this time we met a wonderful woman who until I told her I was a new runner had been undecided as to run or not. This was such a great meeting, we were perfectly matched and became a partner who I could encourage when neither of us felt like running.  I did a combination of running and walking and finished in 44 minutes and 36 seconds.  
I am ecstatic with these results. I wasn't the fastest and I was passed up by a Grandma who was power walking and many other people, but none of that mattered to me. I am so happy that I finished I had a friend and an acquaintance cheering me on at the finish line and received a medal to go along with my number and most of all I am now addicted.  I have already planned my next race and found a training plan. 
The Mission Inn Run. It is a 5k, 10k, 1/2 and full Marathon as well as group runs. I have a few friends who will be running the 1/2 marathon so I am excited to be able to cheer them on as I complete my first 10k and begin preparing for some other more challenging races that I have my eye on.  I don't know if this means that I am becoming a runner, the one thing I know is that some of my goals include completing races and I want to finish these in my 30th year. 

I can not promise that this is going to mark my return to blogging as I have been suffering from writers block, but I am going to try and share my training and current diet on a regular basis. 

What goal do you want to complete this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...